Your Insulation Installation and Ventilation Experts in Minneapolis
When it comes to your home, you need a partner you can trust to ensure your insulation installation and ventilation is working properly. AMEK Exteriors in Minneapolis has decades of experience installing insulation and ventilation.
Building Health Into Your Home
Due to our years of experience, we have become Minneapolis-based exterior system integration specialists. Our building health services can help you prevent ice dams, frost on the bottom of sheeting, premature shingle deterioration, and wasted energy use. We can help you control ventilation, vapor transmission, and air leakage – partnering with you to keep your home warm and safe while preventing any future damage.
As a Minneapolis homeowner, you want to ensure your home is protected from damage. In our previous post we discussed ways to discover if you have mold in your home. In this post, we will examine steps that can help you with mold prevention.
While it is impossible to completely insure your home won’t have mold growths, there are steps that can reduce your risk for having mold contaminate your house.
- Control your indoor relative humidity. Keeping your home’s relative humidity between 30 and 50 percent can hamper mold growth. Air conditioning and dehumidifiers are common ways to control indoor humidity, which can be measured with affordable humidity meters.
- Use venting fans in your kitchen and bathrooms. Ensure the fans work properly and are used. You need to also ensure they vent steam to the outdoors and not simply up into an attic or crawlspace.
- Consider area rugs or washable floor surfaces in risk areas. Wall-to-wall carpeting is an ideal area for mold to grow. Consider not carpeting bathrooms or kitchens. If your carpeting gets wet due to flooding or other long-term water exposure replace it.
- Keep water from your home’s foundation and from getting behind siding. Make sure your gutters are clear and working properly and that the ground is graded away from your home.
- Repair any water leaks immediately. If you find a leaking pipe in your home quickly repair it and make sure the area and any items in it are thoroughly dried.
- Promote good air circulation in your home. Ensure the air in your home circulates by occasionally opening windows and doors to allow fresh air in and occasionally open door to little used rooms in your house.
- Clean air conditioner drip pans. While running air conditioning helps regulate indoor humidity it also uses drip pans as part of its process. Regularly clean the pan.
Water damage in your Minneapolis, MN home can be a huge headache. Water can cause a variety of problems from warping and rotting wood to peeling wallpaper and ruining drywall, carpeting and rugs.
While those are the cosmetic and structural problems related to water in your home, a major health concern results when that water causes mold to form inside a house.
Mold can form in your home when stagnant water combines with naturally occurring mold spores in the air to create a growth of mold.
Common health problems associated with mold include aggravation of asthma, skin and eye irritation, symptoms similar to hay fever such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and a skin rash.
In extreme cases, “black mold” can grow which is considered a toxin and can cause loss of energy, bouts of coughing and even extreme nausea and vomiting. more »