The Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area’s mild (some would say nonexistant) winter allows us to get out into our yards much earlier than usual. And the lack of snow means we all can get a good look at our roofs earlier, too.
Some of the signs to look for when inspecting your roof to see if it needs replacing:
- Look for spots of roof buckling. The shingles will appear ‘wavy’ and not flat in spots. Roof buckling is caused by moisture affecting the underlying boards of the roof.
- Check the ground around your home or your gutters for shingles or pieces of shingles. An excessive amount may indicate the need for a roof replacement.
- If you are able to get on to your roof to see if it needs repairing, check for excessive gaps between shingles. Shingles shrink as they age and can create gaps that allows water and moisture to get beneath them causing roof damage. On three tab roof systems gaps of ¾-inch or wider may mean it’s time for a roof repair or replacement.
- Visible cracks in your shingles is a sign of wear, storm damage or shingle shrinkage. All are signs you should have an inspection to determine if you need a roof replacement.
- Curling shingles. Upturned corners on asphalt shingles can typically be seen from a ground-level view of the roof.
If any of these conditions exist, or if your roof is approaching 20 years of age, you should consider having a professional roof inspection. AMEK Construction is a 5-Star Certainteed roofing contractor.
Call 952-888-1200 today for a free inspection!